posted: May 08, 2013.
Sleep apnea is a serious sleeping disorder that causes a person to stop breathing during sleep. Sleep apnea is caused by an obstructed airway.
In most instances insurance will cover a simple, comfortable home sleep test. The home sleep test takes less than five minutest set up. It’s quiet, comfortable, and you can sleep in the comfort of your own bed. Your regular routine at home will provide your physician optimal data to better diagnose you or you r loved one.
People with mild sleep apnea may stop breathing for only a few minutes in an hour. People with severe sleeping apnea can stop breathing as many as 80 times in an hour. sleep apnea is a chronic disease that may trigger other serious health problems such as Diabetes, Chronic sleepiness, High blood pressure, Heart attacks, Stroke, Headaches, Heartburn, Obesity, Depression, Insomnia, Lack of energy, or Dementia.
Importance of Testing
Testing will enable you to find out which treatment option is right for you. Receiving treatment will improve your breathing, your health and your life. The risks of untreated sleep apnea include
- High incidence of acid reflex (GERD), high blood pressure, and or Diabetes
- reduced life span by as much as 6-15 years
- increase medical care cost (three times as much)
- Significantly more likely to be involved in an accident at home, work or while driving
- more prone to stoke and heart attacks because of increase in cholesterol
- 3-5 times more likely to develop cancer with moderate to severe apnea
- Subject to an increase risk of dementia